Sunday, February 7, 2016

Choking on Words

There are many times we are victims of our emotions. As someone with mood disorders, I know first hand our bodies will occasionally act independently from our brains and mouths. Recently, I've been seriously struggling with my depression and crippling anxiety. My sleep pattern has been completely wrecked, I've been very unpredictably sad at random times, and my eating pattern is similar to The Very Hungry Caterpillar on Saturday when it eats everything in sight.
This past week, I've consciously stepped back from some things to get more control over myself. The biggest challenge for me has always been awareness and catching things before I get too overwhelmed or meltdown. My pattern for dealing with these bouts has gotten pretty defined into several steps.

Reflect- What has not been working for me?
            - What have I been wanting to do but have not actively made time to do?
            - How do I feel when I (insert activity here)

Remind- When are some times you have felt really happy?
            - What relationships matter to you?
            - When do you feel the most complete?

Resolve- What can I do today to make me happy?
             - What needs to change so I can avoid going into a mentally unhealthy place?
             - Make a clear plan to address the roadblocks.

At these times, it's a struggle to clearly express myself. Words get muddled with letters drying up on my tongue. Fingers move over keys only to write words to sentences never thought of or half imagined. This explains part of the recent absence from this blog. The other part of my absence has been dealing with a lot of interpersonal issues and those things clouding my writing. Luckily, things are changing. Noticing my problems is the second most important step in changing them.

Accepting that things are a problem and resolving to change them is the most important step

This week I've been more in touch with my spirituality and this has helped me center myself by being in the present. I've been able to hang out with some wonderful people in person which allows me to be social in easy to handle environments. Planning for epic roadtrips and weddings has already begin which makes me very hopeful for the future.

My emotions will always come with me on these adventures as they can help to enhance the trips. However, wherever I go I'm going to be the one in the driver's seat. My emotions can ride shotgun if they want and control the music, but not backseat driving is allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment