Saturday, June 1, 2013

Review You

List 1 personal goal for the upcoming year. (Optional)

Shit.

Normally I can BS my way around this question, but it's seriously making me think. It's very difficult to simplify my goals because they are so grand. Dreams should be big so even if you can't reach them, you at least get somewhere. I've always dreamed big ever since I was a kid.

I was raised to believe I could do almost anything. Being an Astronaut was out of the question due to my height, as I was informed by my father at age 8 and thus forever crushing my space camp dreams. So when you raise a creative child with the belief that they are limitless in their possibilities, it tends to stay with them into adulthood. I firmly believe I can do anything I set my mind to and reach any goal if it's truly what I want.

There's the problem.
I have goals, I'm not sure what I want.

My goals are scattered on the backs of random pieces of paper like treasure maps.

Three paces past the square rock.

If someone else is trying to read my map, they won't understand any of it.

Spit towards the wind and hop three times that way.

Although appearing disjointed and unrelated, there are things connecting the goals.

Spin around until you fall towards your next move.

It's not always obvious....

Grapevine twice towards the water.

But I know where I'm going.

X marks the spot.

Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

***********

It was during a martial art's class when we were asked the question so familiar to kids.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Sitting on the matted floor, I raised my hand high.

"I want to be happy," I said.

My friends and instructor laughed.

The other students talked about being doctors and lawyers and bakers. They dreamed of stability and had already planned out the person they wanted to be. Their job was going to define who they were. They would be Doctors or Lawyers or Bakers. If someone where to ask them what they do for a living, they would give their job title.

People ask me what I do and I tell them I play with fire or I say a I'm a professional pirate in a vaudeville troupe. My titles are not important and I'm unable to fit in a neat little description. Some of my goals for this week involve laundry, mermaids, and hair dye.

And sleep, I always forget that one.

List 1 personal goal for the upcoming year. (Optional)
-Figure out what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment