Thursday, July 25, 2013

Little Bags

"If an emergency evacuation is necessary, leave your carry-on items on the plane. Retrieving personal items may impede the safe evacuation of passengers."
 U.S. Department of Transportation: Federal Aviation Administration

**************
I live my life in boxes and bags. Really, I'm quite disorganized and having specific bags for specific purposes helps quite a lot. My pink bag is for the gym and it always has my sneakers in it. My blue bag is for my swimsuit and beach related props. My lunch bag is for food except when I forget to clean it out and then it is just for the insects. Everything has a place. So when I say earlier this week I unpacked, I meant I unpacked everything.


I unpacked my bags.


After almost 9 months in my new apartment I finally unpacked all of my boxes and bags. I couldn't tell you exactly what prompted the investment, but it was time. In the same amount of time it takes for a human being to grow from simple cells to, well a human being,  I have lived in an organized state of chaos. Nothing has been wrong with my chaos because I've rather liked it. It's cozy and smells like me. It was just time for a change.


Change is a thing. It's neither good nor bad; it exists outside of morals or values. Is change wrong to create a flower from a seed? Is it bad for a bird to grow its flight feathers? Like Death or Taxes, change is unavoidable.


That's where I found myself earlier this week; in a midst of change surrounded by flowers.


As a girl with a lot of baggage (HA!), I knew my really issue was of feeling at home. I've been so afraid of what is coming next that I didn't even want to fully unpack in my first real apartment. Heck, I still don't know what a real apartment should look or feel like. With so many new things I've found solace in some dependable things. Some things that are simple and elegant. The only bag I will be focusing on in my life for awhile is my purse.


*********
"“Above all, remember that the most important thing you can take anywhere is not a Gucci bag or French-cut jeans; it's an open mind"- Gail Rubin Bereny

No comments:

Post a Comment