Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Timey-Whimey, Moony-Swoony

In the history of human existence, we have looked to measure the intangible. We have measurements for temperature, stress, and pain. The most interesting of these intangible phenomenon is time. Time is such an important part of our lives and we plan our lives around time.

When people first tried to quantify time, they looked to the stars. The phases of the moon would change as the sun rose and set. People began to organize their lives around the moons, which became seasons. Each season brings a new blessing and new gifts. Time continues to move forward and the moon continues to move as well.

Sometimes, anytime, and timeless; time is so ingrained into our lives we don't always realize it. In some moments, time stands still and other moments time flies. People get hyper focused on the 'right time' to do certain things, only too late do some acknowledge there is no 'right time'. Time can be very subjective and time is different for every person.

*************

In the past few months time has had a different meaning to me. I've enjoyed my summertime, but I've been restless. I'm a person who needs to be doing things because I can't be average. I wish I was happy to work a 9-5 job, have date night one a week, and be 'average'. Average has never been my forte so the lull of life I ended up in earlier this year did not make me be my personal best.

Change has been in the air for awhile but things really started to take off for me at the summer solstice. The summer solstice is the longest day of the year and marks the middle of the year. After the solstice the nights get longer and people begin to get ready for harvest/fall/autumn. Ever since the summer solstice, my life has grown at an exponential level.

Love, career, health, and happiness has been abundance in my life since summer began. Things have been going really wonderfully, but it has not been all on my terms. I've prided myself on living life my own way and I haven't been able to fully do that. Months ago I made the huge change to move to Portland instead of Chicago and part of the reason was to start a life here. Now, my life gets to begin the next stage.

Starting in the middle of October, I'll be leaving my current full time job. My reasons are very simple and can be boiled down to one statement; it's time. Things have been growing around me and opportunities to support myself without my current job have come to me. Through hard work and networking, things have fit into the puzzle of my life. I'm in a position now to fully go for my dreams and I'm confident in my abilities to help me on my way.

This is not the end in any way, but instead an amazing beginning. This has been THE most emotionally intense decision of my life because the people I work with, my peers, are the reason I've stayed in my job for the past year and a half. They have taught me more than I've taught them and I'll be forever in their debt for having them in my life.

****************

Moons have names depending on when they occur and we take some of these names from the Algonquin tribes. These names embody the time of when the moon is full. The Harvest moon is closest to September and was the time when people would harvest their summer crops before winter. October's full moon is sometimes known as the Travel moon. My last day of work is on the Travel moon. My future is wide open for travel and adventure. I'm young, but I've never been one to wait forever. Time moves slowly for some and quicker for others. It's not the amount of time that we have that is a measure of our lives, it's what we do with the time we are given.

This is my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment