Thursday, December 19, 2013

Out and Proud

Since last week, we have seen the emergence of two major advocates for Autism and Aspergers; Susan Boyle and Dan Aykroyd.

I'm not sure some of my friends who are not as involved in Autism politics understand my excitement.

The easiest thing I can do it cite what Anderson Cooper said when he "came out".

"It’s become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true. I’ve also been reminded recently that while as a society we are moving toward greater inclusion and equality for all people, the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible."- Anderson Cooper; July 2nd, 2012. Read the full email here.

By having individuals who are public figures speak out on who they are, it breaks down so many different walls. It stops many of the preconceived notions of "People with Autism can't          ."

We can         and we do        . Some of us          more than others and some people need more support to        .

This is a huge step forward toward breaking down stereotypes and educating people on a large scale. I'd like to believe this will change things quickly, but it won't. It just adds a new layer to the ongoing conversations about advocacy. This is big! So if people don't understand why I'm so excited, this is why.

Be loud and be proud. You are awesome just the way you are!

1 comment: